Written by: admin
Transportation is a fundamental part of the performance indicators of the logistics chain, so that their participation must have voice, vote and development in the collaboration schemes in which the different logistics chains are moving nationally and globally.
Managing the fleet allows us to increase operational efficiency and reduce costs, for this we must focus our efforts on controlling the most important variables.
– Cost Structure.- It is very important to have a well defined structure of costs related to each freight and service. The cost and how to decrease it is the main challenge of fleet management so having every aspect of it mapped is very important. The factors that will have the most participation in this structure are the human factor and fuel.
– Performance of the Machine.- Verifying the performance of the machine is a permanent job when you have a transport fleet, validating daily the number of kilometers traveled and the related consumption are factors that must be analyzed constantly, as it goes closely linked to the cost of fuel, which has an average share of 20% of the total cost, so having a dedicated resource for this activity and supporting it in software is an excellent investment.
– Distribution Routes.- Having a clear knowledge of the distribution routes is a very important factor in order to adequately manage our transport fleet, in Peru we have very complex routes throughout our country so we have Field knowledge is of vital importance, a correct route assignment leads to efficiency, which will be reflected in the cost and therefore also in the profitability, in addition to guaranteeing the service. Many companies have already acquired or are evaluating the possibility of purchasing routing software to optimize the routes and be more efficient in the use of resources.
– Drivers.- This aspect of fleet management is the one that I consider to have the greatest complexity, since attracting employees who meet the requested profile is very complicated for human talent areas, which means that this position in the market is scarce. and high turnover. Another aspect is the constant training required by employees, different studies indicate that driving is a significant variable in costs. Having an evaluation system that allows us to reward the best drivers could be very useful if you want to have a motivated team; Currently there are applications in the market that allow controlling driving habits which would help to be more objective in the measurement.
– Maintenance.- As important as having the drivers available for each service, it is very important to have vehicles in perfect condition available. Having a preventive maintenance plan will guarantee available vehicles when required. On the other hand, when corrective maintenance is required, it must be handled with a sense of urgency, as the market demands. A stopped vehicle does not generate income so it is crucial that this operation in the shortest possible time.
The opportunities to be more efficient are increasingly greater if we make proper use of the technological tools that are presented to us such as fuel control, driving habits applications, trackers, routers and others that could be very useful in improving the management of fleet.
Having all these elements under control, added to the investment in technology should guarantee success in the management of the fleet and therefore in the economic results.